Sunday 1 September 2019

Scotland



You might remember about my vacation to UK last year. Scotland is one of the places I visited in the UK. I know I am way behind with this blog but I just had to share my experience visiting Scotland. We started for Scotland from Bolton on a very rainy day. One thing I really appreciate about people in UK is how they embrace their weather. I know if it was raining cats and dogs in India, I would have probably cancelled my plans. Come to think of it, I did cancel one of my trips in the past due to heavy rains.

Our destination was a small town called Inveraray in Scotland. It is a long drive from Bolton. We stopped over at this place called Gretna Gateway Village for coffee and the like. Unfortunately, I do not have pictures of the place but you should easily find it on the internet. This is an outlet village and they had great deals going on there last year.  It is definitely a place to check out for some good deals. We had also had some sandwiches, pastries and hot chocolate at Thornton's cafe. I really enjoyed this cafe a lot. They also had a chocolate shop- it is actually a renowned for chocolates- one of UK's own. I got a lot of chocolates for family and friends. They had a summer special thing going on- yummy chocolates.

Rest and Be Thankful- The picture does not do any justice to the beauty of the place

We also stopped by at a place called- Rest and Be Thankful. It was a hill top with a cool summer breeze. From here, we headed to one of the many caravan parks in Iveraray. It was my first time in a caravan. I must admit, it felt like any other small sized home with a couple of bedrooms and bathrooms, a living room, a dining room and a verandah. Our caravan was on the water front on a lake. One really could not say it was a caravan. Since it was a long drive, we rested in the caravan that evening.

A Glimpse of/from the Caravan

On the following day, we headed out to Crinan canal- Dunardry Locks. Here the highlight was how the boats sailed upstream. They have these manually controlled barricades all along the canal. To sail upstream, they let water fill-up between the barricades (like a tank) so that the boats rise along with the level of water and when they do not need the water level to be up again, they lower the water level by letting the next barricade tank fill up. I think, I am complicating it. I filmed this video. Hopefully, it will help understand what I am trying to convey. Following this interesting experience, we went for a nice walk to Moine Mhor National Nature Reserve. There was not much to do here. We walked a lot and absorbed in the beautiful scenery and quaint little homes lining a lake.




We went on to Crinan again from another side and peered into the Irish Sea which joined into the Atlantic Ocean.



A Quaint Little House lining a canal at the Moine Mhor Nature Reserve

Peering into the Atlantic

The following day was one of the best days I spent in Scotland. We went to Puck's Glen in the Argyll Forest Park for a hike. On either side of the trail is either lovely tall trees and several tiny waterfalls. It was one of the most beautiful, breath taking hikes I have ever been to. It is truly magical, so if you are ever in that part of the world, do plan a trek at Puck's Glen. I am sharing some pictures below. These do not do any justice to the actual beauty of the place.

Puck's Glen

Puck's Glen

Puck's Glen




The next day, we left for the Inveraray Castle in Inveraray. The castle is an estate with beautiful and vast grounds and houses the Duke of Argyll. A part of the castle is a museum and I heard that sometimes the Duke can be found in the gift shop of the museum trying to market the products there to tourists. Whenever the flag is hoisted atop, the Duke is believed to be in the castle.



Inverary Castle

Inverary Castle

We then proceeded towards Glencoe. On the way, we halted at the Bridge of Orchy and another Bridge called Kinlochleven. In Glencoe, we saw 3 hills next to each other. It is here that I saw for the first time a bag-piper bearing Scotsman in a kilt. We enjoyed the music of the bagpipes before proceeding to the Glencoe Visitor Centre which had a little museum explaining the history of the place, the great Massacre of Glencoe and a few short films.

With a Scotsman in a kilt

Beautiful sight at Glencoe- 3 hills called 3 Sisters



We snacked at the cafe of the museum before driving through Fort William to Oban. At Oban we witnessed the McCaig's tower. I have taken a picture of the history of the place, but, to be honest, have not yet got around to reading it. I am placing a picture below. I am quite certain you would read it before I do. It is a different kind of a tower. For one, there is no enclosed space at all- I mean, nothing is completely enclosed in a building. It is an open circular structure with far too many windows. Uncle said that the tower was built just to provide employment to youth of the time- not sure if he just made it up or if it is really true.

McCaig's Tower

McCaig's tower

From top of McCaig's Tower

About McCaig's tower

Quaint Little Scottish home

This was our last day in Scotland. We headed back to Bolton the day after and stopped by yet again at the Gretna Gateway Village yet again for a bit of shopping. The only travel tip for enhanced Scotland experience- Drive from England. The drive is really scenic and beautiful.

I have shot hundreds of pictures and unfortunately, I cannot share all of them on this blog. I will end this blog with a picture of Kilchurn  (pronounced Kill-Hoon) Castle, which is in ruins but is one of the most photographed castle in the world:

Kilchurn Castle








No comments:

Post a Comment