I was never a heavy person or known to be one. I went shopping one day and I really could not find one thing that fit me well. I had to buy oversized clothes because I was so out of shape when looked at myself in the mirror closely. I realised I looked very puffy and full at the same time. It was like me and a bag of potatoes together. It was a clear sign that I needed to do something urgently. When I spoke to people, they did not feel I look heavy or anything. It could be that they saw me everyday and did not observe any changes. At work, we had a basic health check up with a consultation with a doctor, who advised a couple of months before this that I am slightly above my ideal weight and I must bring it back to my ideal weight. I just needed to lose 3kg to reach my ideal weight range. Also, around June,2018, I started developing knee and leg pain out of the blue. I consulted an orthopedic doctor, whose advice was no different.
While I wanted to control my eating habits and lifestyle in general, I did not want to do anything drastic. I wanted to do something that was sustainable and would not deprive me of any nutrients or my favourite sweets. My aim to was to get healthy and fit and not really lose weight.
I followed the below steps and today I am at well within my ideal weight:
- Sweets Calendar:
- Maintaining a Food Diary:
- Early morning warm lemon water
- Eating as per my genetics and traditions
- Gave up eating packaged food
- Included more seasonal fruits and vegetables in the diet
- Eating Home Cooked Food
- Eating Breakfast
- Physical Activity
- Drinking Water Regularly
Well, these are things which worked for me. Within a week of not having sugar, I lost a good amount of weight and the key is to maintain it. These are new changes for your body and mind, and most of the time the initial reaction is to reject it. The key is to stay disciplined, consistent and persistent. The most important thing to remember is to focus on better health and adoption of a healthy lifestyle. Weight loss will come by as a by-product.
I still have 2 things I need to work on:
- Work on my sleep. I sleep well but I do not sleep enough. It is not that I am an insomniac, it is just that I find so many interesting things to do just before bed time that I put off sleeping at a later hour.
- Give up eating noodles. I love noodles a lot and I can eat absolutely any variety. I specifically love the instant noodles. It is my go to comfort food. I plan on making 30 day- No Instant Noodles month.