Monday 18 September 2017

My Top 5 Pure Veg All-You-Can-Eat Places in Hyderabad

Hyderabad is a paradise for meat lovers. There is also a popular chain of restaurants called Paradise, famed for its Biryani. For those of you who did not know, 99% of Telangana State's population is non-vegetarian, which is the highest proportion of meat eaters in the entire country as per a survey conducted by Registrar General of India. Click here to read more. I have not come across exclusive non-vegetarian restaurants there myself but most places have a mix of both veg and non-veg dishes on their menu. Some restaurants have a minuscule number of veg dishes. However, the city is not devoid of pure veg restaurants. In this post, I will make a mention of my top 5 pure veg all-you-can-eat places: some have a nice buffet and others an all you can eat thaali. I have to thank my colleagues and friends for helping me find these. In Hyderabad, veg food is synonymous with Paneer. So, do not be surprised if you find an excessive number of paneer dishes on the menu.

In no particular order, my top 5 are:

Purani Dilli- Himayatnagar

This restaurant is a part of the Dadu's franchise and has an amazing pocket-friendly buffet. The restaurant focusses on a North Indian menu. A welcome drink, soup, starters and bread are served at the table and the rest have to be self-served. They have a wide variety of pickles and desserts. One can enjoy the view of Himayatnagar (which is mainly heavy traffic- if that is enjoyable!) while relishing the meal. Service and ambience is ordinary. Food is good.

Jiva's Imperia- Begumpet

This is one of the popular Ohri's franchises. It is located in one of the White House blocks (nothing to do with US), beside Lifestyle. It is a multicuisine restaurant but is again heavy on the North Indian menu, with a bit of Chinese and Italian thrown in. The ambience is really nice and their lovely chandeliers are hard to miss. The lunch buffet claims to start at 12pm but they are usually not completely ready before 12:45pm (Hyderabadis love late meals). They do have a nice spread of starters and desserts. Soup and breads are served at the table. Food is good. Service and ambience is great.

The Venue- Hotel Fidalgo- Nampally

This restaurant is close to the Nampally Railway Station (also known as Hyderabad Deccan Station). Even though the restaurant is a part of Hotel Fidalgo, it is quite pocket friendly. The spread is not very extensive. The number of dishes are limited. Though they claim it is a multicuisine spread,  it is dominant on North Indian and South Indian flavours.  There is a bit of Chinese and a teeny bit of Italian. Since I visited it during the Mango season, they were celebrating the flavour and it was quite enjoyable. Food and ambience is good.


De Thaali- Begumpet

This restaurant is right next to Jiva's Imperia and is also a part of the Ohri's franchises. This restaurant is an all you can eat thaali restaurant as the name suggests. The cuisine is from Rajasthan and Gujarat. The thaali is quite extensive and best visited on an empty stomach. The flavours are quite subtle and you have to be mentally prepared to enjoy this if you are accustomed to heavily spiced food. Clad in traditional Rajasthani attire, the people who serve the food at the restaurant take a lot of pride in their service and do their very best to please the customers. The restaurant is reasonably priced. I have visited the restaurant twice and the first time, the food was great and the next was quite ordinary. The quality of food in terms of taste is quite inconsistent.  Ambience is fair and food can be great (or not).


Woodlands- Himayatnagar

My family would definitely be surprised to see this make it to my list. It is our most visited restaurant in the city.  This place is not an all-you-can-eat place. However, their thaali is. It does not have a great ambience and is not a place to visit if you are looking for a fine dining experience. It is quite ordinary in terms of ambience. However, in terms of service, quantity of food served and the taste (even though on a very spicy side), it is quite good. It was our go to place when not in mood for cooking or going to far off places. We usually get the Special Combo Plate meals here which, I had mentioned it in one of my older blogs as well. It is special for me as it was the first restaurant I visited in Hyderabad in my adult life.


These are my picks from the pure veg, all-you-can-eat restaurants that I visited in Hyderabad out of the few that I have visited. There are other good veg restaurants as well but have not featured on this list either because they do not have an all-you-can-eat option, or  because they also serve non-vegetarian food. Do let me know if you would like to know of such places in Hyderabad. I have visited quite a few of those. Those who know me well, know that these cuisines are not my most preferred ones but I enjoy them if the taste is good.

P.S: Sorry for no pictures. I do have a few but of empty plates, smacked clean while eating :(





No comments:

Post a Comment