Sunday 29 April 2018

Dr. Ragab's Universal Language by Robert Twigger

I picked this book up a couple of years back at M.R. Book Centre in Hyderabad. I was attracted to this book for 2 reasons- I found the title of the book catchy and the review at the back of the book mentioned it was funny.

I must admit, the reading of the book was a long drawn effort from me and I did give huge periods of break from reading the book. It was during my recent trip to Hyderabad that I finally managed to read a big part of the book.



The story is about a writer who is obsessed with bunkers and is to write about about the success story of an Aluminium Industry magnate. While preparing for this, he comes across a manuscript about Hertwig, who built a bunker on his own during the World War II and his quest for the Universal Language from the renowned and eccentric Dr. Ragab in Cairo.

A big part of the book is Hertwig's manuscript. The story is narrated in 2 parts- Hertwig's youth in the past, and the writer's present day and accordingly, different fonts are used to depict the different period. The earlier portions of the book are a bit funny- it will make you smile but not really roll on the floor laughing. As we continue to read, humour is almost non-existent, or if it is, definitely did not come across as funny to me. As the book progresses, it becomes a little philosophical. Hertwig's manuscript in particular is quite engaging and his travel through the desert has been described beautifully- it transports you to that time. The best part of the book is that it is not cluttered with too many characters. The writer has used simple language and if you recall my review of Make Me, some of the sentence construction is similar to that book, as in, sentences are unusually broken down in to small phrases which serve as stand alone sentences.

I found the ending really abrupt and did not quite understand it very well. To me, Hertwig comes across as a totally different person in the manuscript and in reality. While reading about Dr. Ragab, I really wanted to know more of his personality and capability- though he has been described as someone who is multifaceted, highly knowledgeable of several topics and eccentric, the writer has tried to emphasize on his eccentricity, which is not obvious most of the time. I would have loved to see more of his wisdom.

The Universal Language was not something I understood. There were a few words and phrases thrown in but I really did not understand what it was, as the words alone did not constitute the Universal Language. It is definitely not a mode of conversation. There were instances where Dr. Ragab uses the Universal Language to make himself invisible, which was not easy to comprehend. There is a bit of a philosophical explanation to it, which again, I did not understand. Probably, it is because I have not yet attained that level of maturity in understanding philosophical topics.

Overall, I would rate the book 3/5 due to the fact that a big part of the book was quite engaging but the ending, which was, as mentioned earlier, quite abrupt. The Universal Language could have been explained better and that I would have loved to see more character development of Dr. Ragab. It is not a bad book but not a great one.


No comments:

Post a Comment