Friday 14 September 2018

Book Haul from Blossom Book House


My husband and I were bored one Sunday evening and had not been out shopping for books for sometime. We decided to head out to Blossoms'. They earlier had just 1 store on Church Street but now have 2 big shops on either ends of Church Street. We went there on 2 subsequent weekends, which means, there were 2 hauls this month. I bought more books in my 1st haul and just a couple in my 2nd haul. My husband bought a couple of books during our 1st visit this month. During the 2nd visit, I actually took some of the books I was not too keen on keeping with me- about 20 of them. They kept 12 of them and returned 8 to me as they already had enough unsold copies of those. In return, I could buy books of my choice for that amount. I still have about Rs.180 of the unspent amount, for which they gave me a voucher, for use in future purchases.


Coming to the 1st haul, I bought 5 books.

1. The House on the Strand by Daphne DuMaurier

During my recent vacation, my aunt recommended this book to me. She is a big fan of DuMaurier's writing and we found that we shared a liking for similar kinds of books. This book is about time travel. I will write more, after I read the book.



2. Wild Swans: Three Daughters of China by Jung Chang

My aunt and I were discussing Pear Buck's The Good Earth (one of my favourites). We were actually discussing about books about China and these two books were discussed. I bought Wild Swans as it was highly recommended by her.



3. The Checklist Manifesto by Atul Gawande

During my visit to my Aunt's, she had several books my Atul Gawande. I actually partially read Atul Gawande's "Complications" and liked whatever little I read. So, decided to get this book.



4. Dancing in Cambodia and Other Essays by Amitav Ghosh

I have never read a book by Amitav Ghosh but have heard good reviews of his books, which are usually pretty bulky. I thought a smallish book like this would be a good start.




5. Alice in Wonderland and Through the Looking Glass by Lewis Carroll

I was watching a quiz show, in which one of the questions was- which of these characters in not a character of Lewis Carroll's books. I realised I had forgotten about all the characters in Alice in Wonderland. I only remembered the gist of the story but could not really recall anyone other than Alice of course. I thought this book would help me in refreshing my memory.

Books from the 2nd Haul

1. Complications by Atul Gawande

As mentioned above, I have partially read this book- about 80 pages or so and wanted to finish reading this book.  I would love to finish reading it, so, got this book.



2. All Things Wise and Wonderful by James Herriot

I have read a couple of books by James Herriot in my school days and his account of different experiences with animals, being a vet, were quite engaging- sometimes sad and sometimes amusing. I have not read this one though and saw a James Herriot after a long time, so thought of getting it.



No comments:

Post a Comment