Sunday 25 June 2017

1984 by George Orwell

This book was gifted to me by my uncle several years ago but I got around to reading it only last year. I think my uncle bought this book at Landmark book store in Bengaluru.


When I picked this book up, I really did not know what to expect. The description at the back of the book created a very different image of the story in my mind and when I actually started reading it, I was completely bowled over. It is a rather unusual story.

The story revolves around a different world (really, I mean it, do read it to find out more), in a fictional country called Oceania, where everything is controlled by Big Brother, who maintains a constant watch over every move by every single citizen via telescreens- does this ring any bells? Yes, the British show Big Brother and its Indian variant Big Boss, has been inspired by this very book. People are trained hard to think that Big Brother is their Godfather and that they have to commit absolute loyalty to him in every action they take. Oceania is projected to be in a constant state of war and people in the country are living in extreme austerity where everything is rationed out.

Big Brother, (who comes across as an organization, rather than an individual as there is a constant reference to "the Party") has a force called the "Thought Police" that ensures that every single thought by every single individual conforms to Big Brother's requirement and belief system. For example, if Big Brother calls broad daylight as darkness, people have to accept it without questioning, failing which, they would be subjected to arrest and extreme torture- I think you get the picture, basically no independent thought process. Amidst this, there is a man named Winston, who has a different thought process- a rebellious one but he keeps it suppressed as much as he could, however, he and his lover defy the rules of Big Brother secretly. Their defiance, leads to a series of events which are not pleasant.

It is one of the most creative books I have ever read. It is very obvious that a lot of careful thinking  has gone behind the conceptualization and planning of the plot. It is not the easiest book to read and understand. The reader must be able to read between the lines and sometimes beyond, to really appreciate this book. One is bound to have several questions about various events and characters in the the book. There are a lot of online forums where the book is discussed in detail- I never used any, as I have understood the book (I think). My husband read this book years ago and I discussed some parts of the book with him to gain a better understanding.

I would rate this book 4/5. It would have been a 5/5 if it ended the way I wanted it to, but did not. It is still an amazing book and I highly recommend it. However, this should definitely not be one of your first books if you are only beginning to cultivate reading as a hobby/habit or even if you want switch to this genre of books from your preferred ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment