Sunday 17 November 2013

Legends Never Retire...but it is always hard to say Goodbye

It is always difficult to say Goodbye to Sports Icons. I had been a great fan of Steffi Graf all my childhood. So, influenced by her, that I liked to dress up like her, tie my hair up like her and I even took up tennis at school. My only regret would be that I could never play single-handed like her. I tried, but the racquet was too heavy for me at that age. I would never miss a Steffi Graf match and would not change my position superstitiously until she won the match. During some tough matches, I would sit with a string of beads and pretend they were prayer beads and would pray with all my heart until the match was done. When she announced her retirement, it was like the sky came down crashing on me. I will never forget what I felt that day. I watched her induction to the Hall of Fame with a heart full of emotions. 



















On 16NOV2013, when Sachin Tendulkar signed off from International Cricket, I won't say it was the same but yes, I did have a heart full of emotions. His retirement speech was that made by a man full of humility and gratitude. I took a look back to see what he meant to all of us and realised that his presence  in cricket was so reassuring. I remember the times when my brother and I would come back from school/work and ask our mom/dad for the score and if it was a poor one, we would immediately ask- ' Is Tendulkar out already?' and when they said No, it gave us some kind of confidence and reassurance and hope that India might not lose. It might have been the case in many many Indian homes. It was observed on several occasions that when Sachin got out, the rest of the team collapsed like a house made with a pack of cards. It only meant one thing, he carried the responsibility of the entire team for a very big part of his career and the hopes of millions on his shoulders at a very young age and did so until his retirement. Since I have seen him play since my childhood and saw his position in the team with permanence, I find it hard to believe that he would not be seen playing International Cricket anymore. This being said, he must have had a very satisfying career with many records being broken and many new ones created, being a part of the winning World Cup Team and the IPL winning Mumbai Indians team, not to forget that he was also a part of the Test team when India was ranked no. 1.

All I can say is Thank You Sachin for everything you have done for this country on field and off-field. Thanks for giving your very best to the sport and the country each and every time you stepped on to the field.
I did not realise how big a fan I am of yours until you bid farewell to cricket. Your retirement is yet to sink in but I trust that whatever you do, it will be in the best interest of the country, the sport and also personally for you as well. I hope we still get to see you on TV close to the cricket field and also, wish you the very best in the new innings of your life. Farewell!

No comments:

Post a Comment