Sunday 21 October 2012

My Combat With Linux

I wrote this post way back in 2005 in my erstwhile blog. I realised the importance of blogging in our lives when I read that post. It really helps us reflect and take an overview of things. For example:
It is amazing to see how much progress we have made in terms of technology when we look back. Back then in 2005, I was using a dial-up internet connection at home and now I have wi-fi at home...and of course I had that in-between wired broadband connection.

My friends(those in the s/w field) call Linux- The Wonder Software(I still have my own questions regarding what a software can actually be but I'll save it for later). The length at which they speak of it, had a great impact on me. It gave me a feeling that it is God sent and ignorance about this divine gift is definitely not bliss. It is considered cool and the widely used Windows is termed crap and far more inferior to Linux. Impressed by all this Linux talk, I decided to try using it myself. My Big B had already installed Linux on to my PC and he like my friends asked me to give it a try.

I accessed it. It looked awesome. My 1st attraction was the games. I was impressed by the wide variety it had to offer. It had everything from traditional games to action and adventure. I said to myself ''Why didn't anyone tell me about this before?'' After enjoying the games, I moved to my next attraction - Painting and drawing tools. These were impressive as well. The presence of grids made drawing etc; really simple. I said to myself ''Why didn't anyone tell me about this before?'' Another attraction was the touch-up one could do with pictures and photographs. Amazing......... For me, my PC means a lot more than playing games or sketch or improvise on errors made by photographers. It is a means of staying connected with my friends, news , views, gossip, home-work, assignments etc....etc..... and to accomplish this I require a blessing called the Internet. Internet it was where it all began- My Combat with Linux. 
Setting up a connection was no child's play. I don't quite remember what I did but permutations and combinations of all sorts help me set it up. It didn't take me very long. Maybe.... mhmm.....5-6 hours in all. When it was all set-up, I dialled as anticipation welled up in me. Everything about it was so amazing (so far). After a short pause ittold me - The modem is busy ( busy?? my modem?? it is a Sunday afternoon for Chrissake!!!!!! my modem is my ardent follower- totally jobless). I am not the kind of a person who could succumb to such blatant lies thrown at me by a s/w I've just met. I decided not to give in. I had to stand up for Humanity's sake. I kept on dialling and staring back at the lies it slapped at my face. Finally, I was victorius. No, I wasnot able to connect to the net but the more I dialled my computer got hung. I wouldn't let it kill my long time buddy-the comp. I restarted and worked on it again. Dialled again. But apparently it was bent on strangling my computer. I am not a person who can be defeated by the antics of a s/w. I persevered. I was persistent. I restarted my computer again and again. Finally, Linux broke down.Each time I tried to access it a blank black screen stared back at me and after a minute or so my computer would restart again. I knew that this s/w will put up all kinds of strategies to beat me but it just didn't know who it was up against. It totally gave up in some time. I CONQUERED LINUX. Yes. I did it. I rendered it incapable of evenrestarting the computer. All it showed me was a blank black screen representing the acceptance of grief, defeat and remorse. I said to myself-''Why did anybody tell me about this-EVER?'' (The Wonder Software had flopped miserably)
I Returned to Windows.

Windows who had been a silent observer all this while got a hint- Never to mess with me. As I returned to Windows. I got a familiar friendly and inviting welcome. Everything about Windows was so easy. It gave a high degree of comfort to work with. Internet connection was so easy to set up and connected with a click of finger (on the mouse). It so well behaved, never giving a tough time. This is why i think they say - Looks can be Deceptive. Linux was deceptive.

No comments:

Post a Comment