Sunday 24 December 2017

2017- Year End Review

It is that time of the year where everybody is busy with their self-assessment for the year. Even Facebook did not spare us and showed us what we have been up to in 2017. In Feb this year, I had posted my Goals on this blog. I think since it is the end of this year, it would be good to share an update on how I fared. I also did a mid-year review but did not put it up on the blog as there was hardly anything to show and tell.

If you remember well, (here is a reminder in case you do not- click here) the theme of the year was Finishing the Unfinished. I must admit that I was not 100% successful but would rate myself 85% successful. During the year, there were some changes in priorities that took place and also some positive new changes to life that happened due to which I achieved a few other things that were not planned as goals for this year but I am none the less happy that I could achieve them. By the way, the goals do not appear SMART here but in my book where I have written them down, I have applied SMART principles.





Let us see how I fared (just took a deep breath):

Goal 1:  Finishing reading books that I stopped reading half way or those that I bought meaning to read but did not get around to.
The Verdict- My Self Assessment: While I read several books this year, unfortunately, except for a couple, all were new books that I purchased and read. I could not resist buying new books. So, not a big A+ on this one but definitely not an F. I was just happy that I could keep my reading momentum going.

Goal 2: Finishing off my half done craft projects.
The Verdict- My Self Assessment: I did some of this but not all of them. I still have several to finish and I do not think 365 days would be sufficient for me to complete all of them. Having said that, I really focussed on the things that I loved and my new found interests. I took up water colour art more seriously this year and painted a few things- will be up on my blog early next year. I also took up filming videos and learnt a lot about editing them and have also shot a few videos and uploaded them on YouTube....don't go looking for them, they are on a private mode. I still have a few things to do before I start posting videos publicly. I also learnt a bit more of graphic designing with the free tools available online. Most of the graphics on this blog are done by me using those tools but what I learnt is at a whole new level.

Goal 3: Finishing trying out cooking the huge number of recipes that I keep marking to myself favourites to read and try later.

The Verdict- My Self Assessment: I am proud to say that I am 100% happy with the progress that I have made. Though I cannot say I am finished with this, as, the more I read, the more I keep marking recipes as favourites. My biggest accomplishment was the Gujarati thali that I made with several dishes on the go simultaneously- felt like I was in the Masterchef Kitchen with the axe of elimination dangling over my head; and also several cakes that I baked for colleagues and friends. There is a still a long way to go but having come this far, I feel quite confident. My 2018 goals which will be up soon on the blog, will have a refinement of my goal setting with reference to cooking.

Goal 4: Finishing off writing in the journal I am currently writing in.

The Verdict- My Self Assessment: I get a D here. Though I wrote, it was not enough to finish off the journal. It feels as though the journal keeps magically producing pages- the more I write, the more blank pages I see. At one point, I de-prioritised this goal completely- was not worth the stress. In 2018, I have planned a better way to achieve this.

Goal 5: Taking care of myself

The Verdict- My Self Assessment: I think I have done a good job here. I have been walking and exercising more regularly this year. The last I did it so regularly was in 2011 when I took up yoga for a year. So, I am proud of myself. I did have some crazy times at work which would throw me off schedule but I made an effort to crawl back to a routine. In the past few months, the exercise has definitely gone up. Except for the period between April and August, I think I did not look like I have walked out of a jungle and have looked well-groomed (at least in my mind :-))

Goal 6: Regularly updating this blog.

The Verdict- My Self Assessment: I think this year has been exceptional in terms of blogging. I have blogged my highest this year in comparison to all the years since I started blogging.

Goal 7: Personal Life Goals.

The Verdict- My Self AssessmentThough I cannot say what it is, this was the biggest contributor to that 85%.

While I feel there has been a lot of achievements, there is scope for several improvements as well. Hoping for an even better 2018- Wish you a Merry Christmas!!!




No comments:

Post a Comment