Sunday 30 October 2016

Drop Dead by Swati Kaushal

The first book of Swati Kaushal that I read was A Piece of Cake. It was a thoroughly enjoyable book and that made me pick this book for a read. My husband gifted this to me back in 2013, if I am not mistaken, but I never got around to reading it. It was ordered on Flipkart.com.



I read this book in June,2016. I read most of the book during my commute to work during very stressful times and it made my commute quite entertaining and interesting.This book was quite different from the 1st book of Swati Kaushal's that I read. While A Piece of Cake is a chick-flick book interspersed with office politics which many can relate to, Drop Dead is a mystery novel. The write shows two different aspects of writing- one part is cheesy and cheap, and another one is that of a well-read literati. It almost feels like two different people have written the book.

The story is based in the beautiful hills of Sonargam with a dashing and savvy protagonist Niki Marwah, who is a cop. Niki has a team of officers who are investigating the case of a high profile individual, Rakesh (Rak) Mehra. While the story for the most part is quite engaging, there are a lot of technical flaws in it. For example, as soon as they become aware of the death of Rakesh Mehra, Niki insists that it is not necessarily a murder or an accident and that they are yet to establish it; however, she calls the scene of the event, "crime scene" and the people they interrogate as "witnesses". It would have been still a little bit okay, if she termed them "suspects" but time and again they are referred to as "witnesses". Also, how they conclude on the murderer is also a little bit weird but not implausible so I am not going to argue on that front.


I love descriptions of food in books and this book did not disappoint me in that aspect. There is also a glimpse of Niki's family who is bent up on getting her married, which does not add any value to the story or character development. Some of the characters just disappear quite suddenly without making any significant appearance again, like Niki's best friend. Though it is quite entertaining, it is a very average read. It feels like reading a Bollywood masala movie script. Maybe the writer, did have a movie in mind with Priyanka Chopra playing the lead as Niki Marwah. The cover art definitely resembles Priyanka Chopra.


If I have to rate this book on 5, I would rate it 2/5 just for the entertainment value. I hope the next books by Swati Kaushal would be much better that this one and that she can recreate the magic of "A Piece of Cake".



No comments:

Post a Comment