Tuesday 18 June 2013

A Walk through the Lane: My moment of Courage

It was evening time. I was lost in my own thoughts while walking homeward through some lanes. I heard some soft humming close to me. I ignored and continued walking. In sometime, I heard the sound of feet shuffling very close to me and when I looked, there was a little girl who was trying to stick close to me. I asked her what the matter was. 

'Can you take me with you?' she said. I was quite surprised to hear this from a total stranger (no matter how little!).

'Take you where?', I asked.

'Oh, not too far, just at the end of this lane.', she said. The lane would end in just 10 metres.

'Well, it is so close. Why don't you go yourself? Why do you want to come with me?', I asked.

'Oh, because there is a big dog sleeping on the road and I am afraid of it.'she said.

I smiled to myself and asked her to join me and we walked such that I was closer to the dog and she did not appear in the field of vision of the dog. I walked past calmly while the little girl stole a few glances at the dog. 



When we reached the end of the lane, she thanked me and skipped happily towards her destination. Little did she know of my own extreme and terrible fear towards all animals, or how my heart palpitated while walking past the place where the dog was lying. I maintained my calm externally. This was my moment of courage (however silly one might find it to be! It is not easy most of the time to face one's fears).

No comments:

Post a Comment